7th Army Training Command
U.S. Army Europe's Training Command
The Joint Multinational Readiness Center is one of the seven directorates falling under the leadership of U.S. Army Europe's 7th Army Training Command headquartered in Grafenwoehr, Germany.
JMRC provides a myriad of indispensable capabilities to the U.S. Army, our European allies and other partners. JMRC comprises fifteen separate Observer-Coach-Trainer (OCT) Teams; the 1st Battalion, 4th Infantry Regiment (1-4 IN) which serve as Opposition Forces (OPFOR) during training rotations, and several support directorates to ensure world-class support to our rotations.
JMRC is the only Army Combat Training Center outside the continental U.S. on Hohenfels Training Ares (HTA). HTA is 163 km2, has 1,345 buildings for training, has 319 kilometers of road and numerous cross country trails, and has one short take-off/landing airfield.
JMRC provides a myriad of indispensable capabilities to the U.S. Army, our European allies and other partners. JMRC integrates multinational participation into every rotation. JMRC can tailor the exercise and operational environment based on the needs and requirements of the training audience. JMRC supports training for other U.S. agencies and foreign non-military organizations. JMRC regularly employs the U.S. Army’s Decisive Action Training Environment (DATE) and Mission Rehearsal Exercise (MRE) concepts. JMRC regularly hosts DATE exercises to deploy and test the Regionally Aligned Forces as part of the European Reaction Force. JMRC hosts the Kosovo Force (KFOR) Mission Rehearsal Exercise.
JMRC provides world-class opposing forces to training participants and trains all warfighting functions. JMRC employs OCT teams and personnel to provide evaluation and lessons learned for a wide variety of military occupational specialties for each maneuver training rotation. JMRC has the ability to deploy OCT teams as required to support expeditionary training events. JMRC provides a realistic, complex operational environment supported by world class OCTs and OPFOR.
The Hohenfels Training Area is located in the Free State of Bavaria in the Oberfalz (Upper Palatinate) and is named after the market town of Hohenfels.
Throughout Bavaria's history, there were many armies that roamed this region. The city of Regensburg was founded by the Romans in 179 A.D. and maintained an outpost here at this location. In 788 A.D., Charlemagne pulled Bavaria into his empire. In the 1600s, the Swedes occupied Regensburg and Napolean was based in Regensburg in 1809 during his battle with the Austrians.
The Hohenfels Training Area was originally founded by the German Army for military training April 1, 1938. From late 1939 to early spring 1940, more than 3,000 Polish non-commissioned officers and soldiers were interned at Unteroedenhart. This was one of the Wehrmacht's prime training areas where they rehearsed breaching the Maginot Line and invading France.
During the fall of 1942, approximately 7,000 prisoners of war from the British Empire and the U.S. were permanently billeted in Camp Unteroedenhart. On April 22, 1945, the 2nd Cavalry Regiment of Patton'sThird Army entered the training area with only nine tanks and limited resistance from German and Hungarian troops, liberating the POWs. The training area was opened for the resettlement of refugees and expelles from Soviet-occupied German territories in 1948. These settlers were integrated into the community of "Hohenfels-Nainhof," which became one of the largest rural communities in Bavaria.
However, three years later, U.S. forces claimed the area for military training purposes and requested its expansion to the west. In a meeting hosted August 17, 1951 in Petersberg -- among the German government, the State Government of Bavaria, the Land Commissioner of Bavaria, and U.S. Army representatives -- an agreement was reached to extend the training area to its current size of about 40,017 acres.
By 1984, the training area had 52 ranges within its firing and maneuver area and a MILES warehouse that held enough equipment for 15 companies. REFORGER exercises and HAWK missile sites became primary missions to the HTA.
Due to increasing training requirements, U.S. Army Europe in 1987 formed the Combat Maneuver Training Center (CMTC) at Hohenfels Training Area, creating the Army's third combat training center. In 1990, an Opposing Force (OPFOR) was added, the 1st Battalion, 4th Infantry Regiment (1-4 IN). With the opening of the CMTC, Hohenfels Training Area became the primary maneuver training area for USAREUR Soldiers.
In 2005, the CMTC transformed and became the Joint Multinational Readiness Center, or JMRC.