7th Army NCO Academy
The 7th Army Noncommisioned Officer Academy in Grafenwoehr, Germany is the oldest and largest NCO Academy in the U.S. Army. We have been developing leaders for U.S. Army, Europe and our multinational partners for more than 60 years.
7th Army NCO Academy - origins
The Seventh United States Army Noncommissioned Officer Academy was originally established as the United States Constabulary Noncommissioned Officer Academy and is the oldest NCO Academy in the U.S. Army.
Due to the shortage of Noncommissioned Officers in the Constabulary, Major General I.D. White, Commanding General of the U.S. Constabulary, directed then Brig. Gen. Bruce C. Clark, Commanding General of the 2nd Constabulary Brigade, to open a school for the purpose of training Noncommissioned Officers.
The first class was enrolled on 17 October 1949, with BG Bruce C. Clark as the Commandant. The Academy was re-designated the Seventh Army Noncommissioned Officer Academy on 1 Novemer 1951, when the Seventh United States Army absorbed the functions and facilities of the Constabulary.
At its inception, the Academy occupied two adjoining Kasernes: Stetten Kaserne and Jensen Barracks located in Munich, Germany. On 31 October 1958, after nine years in the Bavarian capital, the Academy moved to its second location at Flint Kaserne, Bad Tolz, Germany. Effective 4 September 1990, the Seventh U.S. Army Noncommissioned Officer Academy relocated to and became a tenant unit of the Grafenwoehr Training Area. On 15 March 2005, the NCO Academy made its fourth move to its current location at Camp Normandy, Grafenwoehr.
In January of 1972, the office of the Commandant, which up until that time was held by a general grade or field grade officer, was officially designated as a Command Sergeant Major position. The first enlisted Commandant was CSM Lawrence T. Hickey.
In July 1983, a very significant change took place in the program of instruction. The curriculum changed from the Primary Leadership Course to the Primary Leadership Development Course In October 2005 the course was changed to the Warrior Leader Course (WLC). WLC is utilizing Grafenwoehr's training sites, transitioning tomorrow's Army to today, using the Warrior Ethos and the Army's 40 Warrior Tasks and 11 Battle Drills.
The Basic Noncommissioned Officer Course relocated from Hohenfels to Grafenwoehr in June of 1991. On 14 October 1993, the Basic Noncommissioned Officer Course graduated its last class in USAREUR. In January of 2005, the Academy received an additional mission which reinstated the teaching of BNCOC and now assists in teaching Infantry BNCOC Phase 2 via Mobile Training Teams (MTT) to the European theater and beyond.
On 9 December 1995, the Academy earned the distinction of being the first NCO Academy to ever receive advance accreditation by the United States Army Sergeants Major Academy (USASMA) and TRADOC. This achievement was based off the results of a comprehensive inspection of all aspects of the Academy in which zero deficiencies were detected and all areas received commendable ratings. In September 2006, the Academy received their fifth advanced accreditation from USASMA and TRADOC.
During the spring of 2003, the Academy trained its first group of International Military Students (IMS) which included twenty Polish soldiers.
Since then the Academy has trained over 340 IMS from 15 European and African Allies, to include Russia, Turkey, Poland, Liberia, and the Czech Republic.
The 7th Army NCO Academy continues to uphold the finest of traditions as the Army's leading facility for the training and development of Noncommissioned Officers.