Care for children of deployed personnel


Customs can help people caring for the children of deployed personnel

Exceptions to policy from customs can be a huge benefit for U.S. Forces personnel stationed in Germany who are parents and have to deploy in support of peace-keeping or security operations. The authorizations can grant limited customs and tax privileges to the person who is in Germany to take care of the children to buy items for the family at U.S. sales facilities. Additionally, the child care provider receives an ID card and SOFA Identification Certificate for the period of deployment which waives German alien control requirements. It also applies in situations where a spouse remaining in country is incapacitated.

These special authorizations allow people who care for the children of such parents the use of tax and duty-free privileges that they would normally not have. This applies, for example, when relatives come from the United States to care for children of deployed parents. These privileges include permission to shop in commissaries and exchanges, use USAREUR-plated vehicles and limited banking facilities.

If an authorization is granted, the NATO SOFA Office will issue a memorandum of authorization and a USAREUR ID and Privilege Card (AE Form 600-700A) with a specified expiration date, and authorize the issuance of a NATO SOFA Identification Certificate with a corresponding expiration date if applicable, to enable the care provider to look after the children properly.

Should the sponsors return to Germany before the authorization expires, it terminates the day of their arrival in Germany.

More information is available at DSN 537-3929 or Civilian 0611-1435373929; Fax DSN 537-3964 or Civilian 0611-1435373964.


Requests for authorizations must be forwarded to:

ATTN: Host Nation Customs Policy
Unit 29351, box 111
APO AE 09014

When doing so, the following information and supporting documentation must be provided:

Information on the soldier or civilian

  • Full name and rank/grade
  • SSN
  • Unit/organization address
  • APO number
  • Unit/organization's telephone number
  • DEROS date
  • Quarters address and telephone number
  • Deployment location and duration
  • Deployment orders or deployment verification, in writing, signed by unit commander/rear detachment commander/organization head
  • Marital status
  • Number and age(s) of child(ren)

Information on the care provider

  • Full name
  • Passport or identification card number and copy of the document referenced
  • Nationality
  • Date of arrival in Germany and purpose of stay
  • Place of residence and address
  • Type of driver's license and driver's license number NOTE: It is recommended that U.S. citizens coming to Germany to perform child care obtain an international driver's license in the United States because an international driver's license obtained in Germany is not valid in Germany. If the carer is not a U.S. citizen, a copy of the visa or residence permit for Germany must be submitted.

Road Conditions

Road ConditionsRoad conditions and school closures for Belgium, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands

European Emergency #

112Information on 112
- the emergency number to dial throughout the European Union.

Crime Prevention

Crime PreventionClick here
for resources for crime prevention from the National Crime Prevention Council