Exercise Saber Strike
WHAT IS SABER STRIKE?
Saber Strike is a long-standing U.S. Army Europe-led cooperative training exercise designed to improve joint interoperability through a range of missions that prepare the 13 participating nations to support multinational contingency operations. The exercise - taking place from May 27-June 22 in multiple locations throughout Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania - serves as an effective proving ground for units to validate their ability to assemble rapid-reaction forces and deploy them on short notice where needed.
Saber Strike 16 features allied and partner-nation ground forces conducting live-fire, command post, and cyber/electronic warfare training, plus the integration of U.S. close-air support with multinational ground forces. Leading up to the exercise, the 2nd Cavalry Regiment will demonstrate U.S. land forces' dynamic presence throughout the region, exhibiting freedom of movement during a 2,200-kilometer tactical road march, called Dragoon Ride II, from Germany to Estonia.
Participating nations this year include Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania, as well as Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Norway, Poland, Slovenia, the United Kingdom and the United States.
Saber Strike 2016
TAPA, ESTONIA -- Approximately 10,000 personnel from 13 countries will participate in the U.S. Army Europe-led joint, multinational exercise "Saber Strike 16," taking place in multiple locations in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania from May 30 to June 22.
BAUMHOLDER, Germany -- The 4th Infantry Division Mission Command Element hosted a rehearsal of concept drill to provide military intelligence practitioners within U.S. Army Europe an opportunity to collaborate and synchronize collection efforts in support of three major upcoming multinational exercises in eastern Europe.
GRAFENWOEHR, Germany - Regiment Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 2d Cavalry Regiment set up a Tactical Operation Center and Tactical Command Post March 8 -10, 2016 in the Grafenwoehr training area near Rose Barracks in order to conduct a two-week staff exercise.
ROSE BARRACKS, Germany -- Having a military unit that can effectively move from one location to another, set up shop and complete missions can be the difference between a successful mission or a failed one.
Soldiers with the Regiment will conduct Dragoon Ride II, a vehicle road march using Stryker Combat Vehicles and support vehicles from Rose Barracks, Germany, to Tapa, Estonia, May 27 through June 15, 2016.
Saber Strike 2015
USTKA, Poland -- U.S. Army paratroopers, from the 173rd Airborne Brigade's 2nd Battalion, 503rd Infantry Regiment, participated in a joint, combined amphibious and air assault from ships in the Baltic Sea here as part of Exercise Baltic Operations, or BALTOPS, 2015, June 17.
SWIETOSZOW, Poland - Soldiers of 4th Battalion, 3rd Aviation Regiment (Assault Helicopter Battalion) and Dutch Soldiers of the 11th Infantry Battalion conducted air assault operations together at the Swietoszow, Poland Airbase, June 17, 2015 during operation Noble Jump.
Encompassing more than 6,000 participants from 13 different nations, Saber Strike is a longstanding U.S. Army Europe-led cooperative training exercise. Designed to improve joint operational capability in a range of missions as well as preparing the participating nations and units to support multinational contingency operations, this year's exercise takes place across Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland.
DRAWSKO POMORSKIE, Poland---U.S. and Danish tank companies participated in a combined arms live fire exercise June 16, 2015 during Saber Strike 15.
A Troop is the only M1126 Stryker unit currently operating in the National Guard, and are in Lithuania in support of exercise Saber Strike 2015.
RIGA, Latvia -- Two units out of Ramstein Air Base, Germany, working side by side are able to complete a variety of missions. During exercise Saber Strike 15 they were able to showcase their capabilities in and around the Baltic region June 10 through 18.
ADAZI MILITARY BASE, Latvia — Military personnel from the Latvian National Armed Forces, U.S. Army and Air Force performed joint airborne training operations in conjunction with Operation Atlantic Resolve at Lielvarde Air Base, Latvia, June 15.
As Saber Strike continues, this training epitomizes the objectives of the exercise as this training demonstrates the importance of the cooperation and joint capability of NATO allies.
SWIDWIN AIR BASE, Poland — Cascading to the ground, a company of airborne Soldiers prepared to assault and seize an airbase after jumping out of an Air Force C-130 aircraft. Upon reaching the ground, the paratroopers cleared the runway for a C-17 carrying three M1126 Stryker Combat Vehicles to land approximately 45 minutes after the first paratrooper exited the door.
Images: Danish and American Soldiers participate in a Combined Arms Live Fire Exercise at Saber Strike 15
Soldiers of Company D, 2nd Battalion, 7th Infantry Regiment, 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division position their tanks before the start of a Combined Arms Live Fire Exercise with Danish soldiers of Dragoon Regiment, 1st Armored Battalion, 1st Danish Tank Squadron, at the Drawsko Pomorskie Training Area, Poland June 16, 2015.
Images from Saber Strike 2015 courtesy of the 16th Mobile Public Affairs Detachment.
DRAWSKO POMORSKIE TRAINING AREA, Poland — The 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team airdropped the king of battle June 15, 2015 at the Drawsko Pomorskie Training Area in Poland during Saber Strike 15.
Photos of a UAV and its operators from the 5th Battery, German/French Brigade providing aerial observation for Saber Strike 15, a long-standing U.S. Army Europe-led cooperative training exercise.
Several Distinguished Visitors, including the CG of USAREUR, the DCG and Ambassador Lute visited the Saber Strike exercise in Latvia to see a STX demonstration and meet with troops.
RUKLA, Lithuania – At 11 a.m. the distinct sound of muted radio chatter was heard as two German army forward observers looked through binoculars at a sandy battlefield while U.S. Army Soldiers provided security for them.
Images from Saber Strike.
Lithuanian Land Forces Soldiers assigned to the Iron Wolf Brigade, left, and United States Army Soldiers assigned to A Company, 2-159th Attack Reconnaissance Battalion, 12th Combat Aviation Brigade, stationed at Katterbach, Germany, hold each other’s national flag during a photo shoot at the Great Lithuanian Hetman Jonusas Radvila Training Regiment, in Rukla, Lithuania, June 13, 2015, as part of Saber Strike 2015.
ADAZI, Latvia – Michigan National Guard Soldiers, Airmen and public affairs staff traveled to Latvia last week to participate in Saber Strike 15, a U.S. Army Europe-led cooperative training exercise that began in 2010. The 2015 iteration spans four nations (Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, and Poland), engaging more than 6,000 participants from 13 different nations. The exercise began May 31, 2015 and is scheduled for completion June 19, 2015.
AMARI, Estonia - Eight A-10C Thunderbolt IIs and 111 Airmen from the 175th Wing, Maryland Air National Guard deployed to Amari Air Base, Estonia over the first week in June 2015 to participate in Saber Strike 15, an exercise that facilitates cooperation between Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Poland, United States and other participating nations.
Allies train for better maneuver capabilities at Drawsko Pomorskie Training Area during Saber Strike 15
DRAWSKO POMORKIE, Poland — In the heat of battle, the ability to maneuver quickly while engaging the enemy is critical to the success of the mission. However, moving quickly while working with different militaries presents its own set of difficulties.
DRAWSKO POMORSKIE TRAINING AREA, Poland — Standing in an open field, a sea of soldiers salute four different flags flying side-by-side. Despite being from different countries, the raising of the flags represents the beginning of a historic training exercise amongst allies.
DRAWSKO POMORSKIE, Poland -- Polish students from Goleniow Junior High School visited Soldiers of Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 2nd Battalion, 7th Infantry Regiment, 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, for a fun-filled afternoon of exploration and English language enhancement June 8, 2015 at the Drawsko Pomorskie Training Area.
VILNIUS, Lithuania - A platoon of soldiers from the 56th Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 28th Infantry Division, arrived in Lithuania today with four Stryker vehicles for their part in this year’s Saber Strike exercise. Over the next two weeks they will conduct field training with a Lithuanian Army infantry company, building on the experience of similar training events in recent years.
ROYAL AIR FORCE FAIRFORD, England -- Air, maintenance and support crews from bases around Air Force Global Strike Command forward deployed to Royal Air Force Fairford, June 5, 2015, to participate in the multi-national BALTOPS 2015 and Saber Strike exercises.
Saber Strike's exercise objectives facilitate cooperation amongst the U.S., Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Poland to improve joint operational capability in a range of missions as well as preparing the participating nations and units to support multinational contingency operations. There are more than 6,000 participants from 13 different nations.
OFFUTT AIR FORCE BASE, Neb. -- Three B-52 Stratofortresses assigned to the 5th Bomb Wing, Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota, deployed today to Royal Air Force (RAF) Fairford, United Kingdom.
Stryker vehicles from the 56th Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 28th Infantry Division, Pennsylvania Army National Guard arrive in Vilnius, Lithuania June 6 to participate in Saber Strike 2015.
Thursday morning the six brigade staffs presented their operational plans for the exercise to Commander Danish Division, Major General Flemming Mathiasen.
ADAZI MILITARY BASE, Latvia - Soldiers, vehicles, and equipment from 2nd Battalion, 7th Infantry Regiment, 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division out of Fort Stewart, Georgia, and 1st Squadron, 91st Cavalry Regiment, 173rd Airborne Brigade out of Grafenwohr, Germany, conducted a series of convoys from Adazi, Latvia to Tapa, Estonia, June 2-4.
More than 60 soldiers of the 28th Infantry Division are in Lithuania to continue to partner with the Baltic nation and other regional allies.
WIESBADEN, Germany -- Approximately 6,000 personnel from 13 countries will participate in the U.S. Army Europe led joint multinational exercise Saber Strike 15 taking place in Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland from June 8-19.
Saber Strike 2014
Saber Strike 2014 spanned multiple locations in Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, and involved approximately 4,500 personnel from 10 countries. The exercise took place from June 9-20, 2014.
- Video: Saber Strike 2014 Closing Ceremony in Latvia
- Photo Album: Saber Strike 2014
- Video: Multinational ceremony closes Saber Strike 2014
- Video: Saber Strike 2014 comes to a close
- Multinational ceremony closes Saber Strike 2014
- U.S. Air Force video: 435th Contingency Response Group, Latvian airmen hone sling load skills
- Video: Final field training exercise mission of Saber Strike
- Four-day field training exercise caps Saber Strike 2014
- Video: Final mission at Saber Strike 2014
- Video: Breaking bread, Saber Strike style
- Danish military leaders visit exercise Saber Strike
- Finnish forces video: Finnish forces in action during Saber Strike
- Video: Interview with Saber Strike co-director Maj. Gen. Mark McQueen
- Video: Pennsylvania National Guard captain talks about Estonian heritage
- Video: Estonian liaison officer interview
- Video: Multinational field training exercise
- Video: US, Lithuanian Joint Tactical Air Controllers build skills together
- Danish Division commander: Saber Strike symbol of 'the way to go in the future'
- Video: Lithuanian, Danish forces train together at Saber Strike
- Lithuanian president, dignitaries visit Saber Strike 2014
- Video: Lithuanian president, dignitaries visit Saber Strike 2014
- Lithuanian forces video: Distinguished Visitor Day at Saber Strike
- Video: Distinguished Visitor Day demonstration
- Lithuanian citizens get a look at Saber Strike 2014
- Army, Air National Guard support Saber Strike
- A lot goes on behind the scenes to support Saber Strike
- Video: 435th Contingency Response Group drops paratroopers, supplies into Saber Strike
- Video: 173rd Airborne Brigade and Lithuanian 'Iron Wolf' brigade prepare for Saber Strike 2014
- Lithuanian forces video: Offensive and defensive operations
- Video: Combat engineers prepare for battle
- Video: 'We would very much like to work closer together with our partners'
- Video: Last checks for field exercise
- Lithuanian forces release: Distinguished Visitor and Media Day to feature allied demonstration
- Lithuanian forces interview with U.S. Stryker officer: 'allies speak the same language'
- Video: Saber Strike field exercise preparation
- Video: Black Hawks in Lithuania
- Video: Saber Strike cultural day in Latvia
- U.S. Army Europe commanding general visits Lithuania during Saber Strike 2014
- Video: Countering armored forces at Saber Strike
- Video: Digging in at Saber Strike
- Latvian Armed Forces commander visits troops during Saber Strike
- Pennsylvania National Guard Soldiers train with Lithuanian Land Forces
- Video: Footage of Saber Strike 2014 situational training
- Video: Footage of assembly area operations during Saber Strike 2014
- Video: U.S. Army Europe commander visits Saber Strike 2014
- Video: Pennsylvania National Guard, Lithuanian forces join for situational training
- Video: Pennsylvanians meet Lithuanians
- Blog: Soldiers bring firewood to Latvian villages
- Canadian Army Flickr Album
- Saber Strike 2014 distinguished visitor, media day announced
- NATO joins Exercise Saber Strike 2014 in Baltics
- Multinational Exercise Saber Strike 2014 formally opens in Lithuania
- SbS14: observer coach training focuses on joint and combined interoperability
- Saber Strike unites 10 countries
- Video: Opening ceremony (with English subtitles)
- Military exercise Saber Strike 2014 officially opens
- Michigan Shadow platoon flight at opening of Saber Strike
- Video: Saber Strike 2014 opening ceremony
- Exercise Saber Strike 14 demonstrates international cooperation
- Video: 173rd Airborne Brigade and Lithuanian 'Iron Wolf' brigade prepare for Saber Strike 2014
Saber Strike 2013
Saber Strike 2013 spanned multiple locations in Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia and involved approximately 2,000 personnel from 14 countries. The exercise took place June 3-14, 2013.
- Saber Strike 2013 demonstrates international cooperation
- Command Post Exercise begins set up in Pabrade (Video)
- Opening ceremony in Adazi, Latvia (Video)
- Latvian interview with Adazi Saber Strike field-training exercise commander (Video)
- Multinational Corps Northeast begins Saber Strike 2013 in Estonia
- U.S. Soldiers settle into Saber Strike 2013 (Video)
- Saber Strike field training begins in Adazi, Latvia (Video)
- The Royal Welsh at Saber Strike (Video)
- Latvian National Guard ambush video (Video)
- Latvian National Guard conducts ambush lane
- Integration of JTACs into Saber Strike (Video)
- Lithuanian president visits Saber Strike 2013
- Latvian Army conducts attack lane at Saber Strike (Video)
- Multinational JTACs add to Saber Strike realism (Video)
- Latvian National Guard conducts attack (Video)
- U.S. Army Europe Commanding General Visits Saber Strike (Video)
- Lithuanian and U.S. company conduct offensive operations (Video)
- USAREUR CG visits Saber Strike 2013 situational training exercise in Latvia
- Pennsylvania Army National Guard in the defense (Video)
- NATO Multinational Corps Northeast arrives in Tapa, Estonia (Video)
- Interview with Lt. Gen. Campbell (Video)
- Estonian and British troops on the attack (Video)
- Lithuanian and U.S. troops establish a defense (Video)
- Lithuanian Maj. Gen. Almantas Leika (Video)
- Current Ops: Staying Aware (Video)
- Generals, diplomats visit Saber Strike to observe training (Video)
- Expeditionary Medical Support (Video)
- The Support Behind the Exercise (Video)
- The Estonian 'Patria Pasi' SISU XA-188 (Video)
- Battalion-level attack at Saber Strike (Video)
- Col. Liberts: This exercise provides a unique experience to all the participants
- Joint planning at Saber Strike (Video)
- Maj. Gen. Elmo interview (Video)
- Lithuanian and U.S. soldiers in the field (Video)
- Saber Strike ambush lane (Video)
- ROTC cadets participate in Saber Strike (Video)
- Multinational Corps Northeast in Tapa (Video)
- Saber Strike battalion attack (Video)
- This ain't laser tag (Video)
- 44th Expeditionary Signal Battalion provides communications for Saber Strike
- Closing ceremony in Latvia (Video)
- Saber Strike 2013 a demonstration of multinational partnership in the Baltics
Saber Strike 2012 in the News
Saber Strike 2012 was a U.S. Army Europe-led, multinational exercise that ran June 10- 22, 2012, at multiple training areas in Estonia and Latvia. The exercise, which had approximately 2,000 participants, promoted regional stability and security, strengthened international military partnering and fostered trust while improving interoperability between participating nations. The nations participating in the exercise are the U.S., Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Canada, Finland, France and the United Kingdom.
- Latvian interview with U.S. Army Europe about Saber Strike
- 21st Theater Sustainment Command supports multinational, multiservice exercise
- Multinational, multiservice planning at the core of exercise Saber Strike 2012
- Estonia's prime minister visits U.S. Army Europe-led multinational exercise Saber Strike 2012
- Multinational forces at Saber strike 2012 complete situational training, move on to field training exercise
- Commander of Estonian Defense Forces opens Exercise Saber Strike
- Exercise Saber Strike 2012 officially kicks off
- Latvian interview with U.S. Army Europe about Saber Strike