Civilian Relocation Tax Changes

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 made most civilian permanent change of station entitlements taxable. A Travel W-2 is issued in January following the year that reimbursements were paid/taxes withheld. The TCJA does not affect travel allowances received prior to Jan. 1, 2018. How the TCJA will affect you depends on when your PCS orders were issued. Click the above link for more information.

Restrictions on Personnel Claim Payments

The Army will no longer pay moving claims for unusual occurrences when the damage is caused by flood, hurricane, earthquake, or other acts of nature or weather phenomena. Military and Civilian employees should ensure they maintain private insurance against personal property losses caused by adverse weather and other hazards insurance normally covers. Click the above link for more information.

Start Here


Newcomers pages for housing and more.


The best place to find information about moving, schools, drivers licenses and housing is your garrison's newcomers webpage. Find your garrison and click on the logo

Not sure what garrison you are assigned to? Visit our Garrisons page to get an overview of each garrison and learn about our communities.

Still not sure? If you have a valid Department of Defense, Common Access Card you can use
the Department of Defense Unit, Identification Code lookup tool.

Request a Sponsor

Sponsorship is for everyone coming to U.S. Army Europe - Soldiers, civilians and family members. The best way to start your tour is to get a sponsor early and connect with them often. 

Helpful Resources

Our 'Sponsorship and Newcomers Frequently Asked Questionsdocument is a great place to start.

All Department of Defense employees in Europe (Soldier & Civilian) must register for the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program and please visit our Stay Safe webpage for emergency phone numbers, crisis notification systems, travel advisories, safety and security. 

Be sure to visit the 'Know Before You Go' site from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection for more information on your move to Europe. 

Planning on driving a car in Europe?

If you will be stationed in Germany, click here: Drivers testing for Germany and registering your vehicle in Germany: Vehicle inspection (Germany)

If you will be stationed in Italy, click here: Drivers testing for Italy and registering your vehicle in Italy: Vehicle inspection (Italy)

If you will be stationed in the Belgium - Netherlands - Luxembourg region (BENELUX) click here for more information on: Drivers testing and vehicle inspections for BENELUX

Quality of Life in U.S. Army Europe

U.S. Army Europe Command Video featuring Soldiers discussing the mission of U.S. Army Europe, and quality of life in Europe.

External Links - The appearance of external hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Army or U.S. Army Europe of the linked website or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and U.S. Army Morale, Welfare and Recreation sites, the U.S. Army or U.S. Army Europe does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. The links provided are consistent with the stated purpose of this website.